An electronic book (or e-book) is a book publication made available in digital form, consisting of text, images, or both, readable on the flat-panel display of computers or other electronic devices. Although sometimes defined as “an electronic version of a printed book”,some e-books exist without a printed equivalent. Commercially produced and sold e-books are usually intended to be read on dedicated e-reader devices. However, almost any sophisticated computer device that features a controllable viewing screen can also be used to read e-books, including desktop computers, laptops, tablets and smartphones.
You can read electronic books right now, even if you don’t have a handheld ebook reader. There’s free electronic book software available for all the popular operating systems. You can also download versions of the Amazon Kindle that work on a PC, Mac, iPad, or cellphone.
Advantages of e-Book
1. Ebooks are delivered almost instantaneously. You can purchase, download and start reading them within minutes, without leaving your chair. You don’t have to go to a bookstore to buy them, neither wait for them for days, weeks and sometimes more to arrive in the mail.
2. No trees are required to manufacture paper for the pages of ebooks.
3. When you need certain information, you can get it immediately, by downloading an ebook.
4. Many ebooks are sold nowadays with bonuses, which you usually do not get with a printed book. This adds value to your purchase.
5. Ebooks take up less space. You practically don’t need any space to store them. You don’t need a library or a room for them. You can store hundreds and thousands of ebooks on your computer or reading device.
6. Ebooks are portable. You can carry a whole library of hundreds of books with you, on CD, in a laptop, notebook or any ebook reader, without worrying about their weight.
Disadvantages of e-Book
- E-Book Readers can cost money. Although some E-Book Readers are free software programs, the top 10 reviewed Readers are all commercial devices that cost money to use. The number one rated reading device, the Kindle 2, costs $259.
- Programs need to be compatible with the computer or device. There are other software programs that can load directly onto a computer or handheld PDA. However, with the many operating systems that are out there and computer devices, not all programs are compatible with every computer.
- Programs need patching for security vulnerabilities. Three major, free, software programs for E-Booking are Acrobat E-Book Reader, Microsoft Reader, and Palm Reader. Any program that is on a computer and can be connected to the internet can be risky to the computer or device by creating vulnerabilities for attackers to exploit.
- Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware and Spyware may change registry information. Often times, programs similar to SpyBot will alert the user to vulnerabilities and changes to the registry. The registry is the components that allow a program to work. Anytime a software program is updated, the registry entry will change. An alert will pop up via the anti-spyware service, asking if the user will allow the registry change. When a virus is on a program, the registry will try to change, denying it will stop the virus. Often times after an update, allowing the change to the registry will allow the program to continue running, and denying the change will make the program malfunction.
- Not all book formats are compatible with the reader. Every E-Book reader will allow different formats of text files to be read. Examples of format types are PDF, Word, PDB, HTML, BBeB, etc. Depending on the file type of the book, the reader a user has may not allow it.
- E-Book Readers require power. E-Book readers are special devices or programs on a computer that allow the user to access the book electronically. There is absolutely no paper involved. If there is a power outage and the batteries die the user will not be able to access the book.
- E-Books can cause eyestrain. E-Books are read on a computer or special device that is viewed on a screen. The screen does not have the same type of resolution like print on paper has.